- Web site maintenance is an integral part of updating and
keeping your site working properly.
- Many people don’t realise the benefits of site maintenance, but having a
good web developer update and maintain your site is something one should
not only seriously consider
- If you want to maximise your return on investment
and get the most out of your website you need to
implement a monthly website maintenance plan.
- Confirm that file and database backups are being automatically performed on at least a weekly basis.
- Verify that backups are stored off site.
- Restore from backup at least once every six months to ensure the backups are valid.
- Apply available security patches for any software your site relies on (e.g. PHP, content management systems, ecommerce carts, etc.)
- Evaluate non-critical software updates to see if they’re worth applying.
Check for Broken Links
- Run a link checker to crawl your site and look for broken links that frustrate users and reduce search engine rankings.
Search Engine Optimization
- Use a tool like moz.com to identify structural issues with your site that may affect how search engines view your site like missing titles or duplicate content. (Start with their Search > Crawl Diagnostics report.)
- Identify new referrers that are sending traffic to your site. (In Google Analytics go to Acquisition > All Referrals)
- Check Google Webmaster Tools for any crawl errors.
- Create a Google Analytics dashboard to highlight the most important metrics for your site.
- Look for trends (good or bad) in your key metrics.